rsync and vfat
It took several tries, and a lot of poking around, but I finally have my music collection mirrored to a disk I can take around (most notably to work). The hard part was getting
rsync to work right. Finally I got it working after finding a helpful article on the topic. To summarize (in less than 3 pages), I used to following 2 commands:
mount -t vfat -o shortname=mixed,iocharset=utf8 /dev/sda1 /mnt rsync --modify-window=1 -rtv --delete /data/mp3/ /mnt/mp3
Now I won’t lose them, and maybe they’ll help you. The only reason for having problems is that I was using the
vfat filesystem under FC3 Linux (where my custom-built audio archive exists) to make a disk I could plug in to my work laptop. Windows filesystems aren’t so great, they have problems doing mixed case and being very accurate with times. So this makes it work!